Commonwealth Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000
Standard Collection Notice
This is provided to you by the school and specifically itemises the reasons for collecting information about students and their families and the way in which that information will be used by the school. Please refer to the list below:
- This school collects personal information, including sensitive information about pupils and their parents or guardians before and during the course of a pupils’enrolment at the school. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable the school to provide schooling for your son/daughter.
- Some of the information we collect is to satisfy the school’s legal obligations, particularly to enable the school to discharge its duty of care.
- Certain laws governing or relating to the operation of schools require that certain information is collected. These include Public Health and Child Protection laws
- Health information about pupils is sensitive within the terms of the National Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act. We may ask you to provide medical reports about pupils from time to time.
- The school from time to time discloses personal and sensitive information to others for administrative and educational purposes. This includes disclosure to government departments, medical practitioners, and other people providing services to the school, including relief visiting teachers, and volunteers/parents.
- If we do not obtain the information referred to above we may not be able to enrol or continue the enrolment of your son/daughter.
- Personal information collected from pupils is regularly disclosed to their parents or guardians. On occasions, information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupils activities and other news is published in newsletters, magazines and on our website.
- Parents may seek access to personal information collected about them and their son/ daughter contacting the school. Pupils may also seek access to personal information about them. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, where access may result in a breach of the school’s duty of care to the pupil, or where pupils have provided information in confidence.
- As you may know the school from time to time engages in fundraising activities. Information received from you may be used to make an appeal to you. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
- We may include your contact details in a class list and school directory (where, in general, access is limited to school staff).
- If you provide the school with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, we encourage you to inform them that you are disclosing that information to the school and why that they can access that information if they wish and that the school does not usually disclose the information to third parties.
- Since the school does not have a permanent school building it may be necessary to display pictures of your child’s work or a picture and name of your child doing school activities such as sports, plays, excursions etc. on the website of The Polish School of Sydney or in other media. We will withdraw the picture and name any time the parent requests the school to do so.